Sunday 26 August 2012

Fears

We are all afraid of something right? Personally I'm not too keen on clowns or people on stilts.  I used to be petrified of spiders as a child.  Murky muddy water too, I saw a film when I was a girl of images of deep dark murky water with children down in the deep, haunting and bloated.  Just thinking about it freaks me out still.  It didn't help that my brother was petrified of water full stop and was a terrible swimmer.  My dad one day took us to an open air swimming pool, I must have been about 9 or 10... he thought it would be fine and fun to push us out on these cool floating board type devices... thing is my brother fell off while we were in the deep end and in his frantic panicked state desperately clung to what he could...ME!  He was choking and clawing at me and pulling me under, he was heavier than me despite being the younger sibling and I remember swallowing so much water and feeling totally helpless.  I was fine of course just shaken and embarrassed from what I recall.  However I always saw drowning as a creepy way to go!   But today I faced my fears....

Yep I went kayaking in a reservoir, and it was great!  I didn't want the kids to know that I have a fear of deep dark waters so I just sucked it in, mind over matter and manned up!

And you know what, I capsized...

And you know what, I was fine...

A little shaky and pride a little bruised but it happened and life goes on...

Now excuse me while I go put my little friend outside ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment